Menu Close

Harvey Update #5

Bob’s Harvey Update #5
August 26, 2017, 5:00 p.m.

Executive summary: No Sunday School, yes church, no pizza lunch, be careful

Harvey is inland from Rockport, weakening and almost stationary. It’s track for the future remains uncertain, but with no steering currents, it won’t drift anywhere fast.

Houston endured a major rain band this morning, but that has mostly moved off to the north and east. It is possible (likely) that more rain will develop tonight, but the intensity is uncertain. If Harvey drifts slightly east, we get into a heavy rain band, if not we stay a bit drier. These storms could have tornadoes, again, but the overall wind speeds should be less.

I went to the church at 3:00 p.m. and everything appeared fine. The power in the Sunday School building had been out, but was back on. The creeks near the church are high, but not abnormally so for a significant storm. There was little evidence that water had been over the roads.

So the elders discussed all this and talked with Hannah about it, and we were all agreed that we should go ahead and have church, unless the weather really surprises us. Here’s the plan:

No Sunday School

Regular church at 10:50 a.m.

No pizza lunch or Slovakia update.

Please use your own discretion and caution in making your decision about coming to church – but this will be Hannah’s last Sunday, so come if you can. Remember the cautions about standing water.

And feel free to invite your friends whose churches decided not to meet!